12/01/2006

ADAI DOSA


Just to Share with you....

Almost everybody says, “We are not having enough protein in our diet.” The fault is not with their eating habits; rather it is of their culture/cuisine. It’s always a surprise to me, when I hear that Indian food (particularly vegetarian) doesn’t have sufficient protein content. It is a big myth for me. People often have a mental picture in their minds, which shows only meat products when they think of protein. Since in our Indian food we don’t consume as much meat as our American counterparts do, we tend to think that we are not getting sufficient protein.

Adai is very famous South Indian recipe, rich in taste and flavor and yet really really healthy. We can say this as "PROTEIN DOSA" since this dosa is made of mixture of Dals.After my marriage, one day I told my hubby that I am going to make Adai. He told no no. He replied that he ate Adai Somewhere before once and he didn't like that. Then I explained him abt the PROTEIN VALUE and told him let me make today if you don't like then I will stop making it.He agreed to it. Now Situation got reversed and he is asking to making Adai.

Also, when I came (US) here for the first time. I met Maitri Goel. She is my North India friend. we used to exchange foods. One day I made Adai and gave her. Her son is one year old. He loves that a lot. Since this dosa is having lot of Proteins she got recipe from me and shez making it in alternate days for her son.

Try giving your kids this type of Dosa at least once a week.

Ingredients

1. Chana Dal -- 1/2 Cup

2. Urad Dal -- 1/2 Cup

3. Moong Dal -- 1/2 Cup

4. Toor Dal -- 1/2 Cup

5. Rice -- 1 1/2 Cups

6. Onion -- 1

7. Red Chilli -- 4

8. jeera -- 1/4 tsp.

9. Salt to taste


Preparation

1. Soak ingredients all dals and rice in water for 4 to 5 hours.

2. Grind all the them into a smooth batter . When grinding add Redchilli and jeera (cumin seeds)

3. Allow it to ferment for 6 hours.

4. Heat a Tava/Dosa pan.

5. Pour about a cup of dosa batter using a rounded spoon and spread it thin(like paper).

6. Sprinkle some finely chopped onion and little oil on the top and cover it with a lid

7. Fold dosa when it is done.

8.Serve with Tomato-onion chutney or cocount chutney.

Side dishes

Coconut chutney , Coriander chutney , Tomato onion chutney

Pudhina chutney , Peanut/groundnut chutney , Garlic chutney

Easy Sambar , Dal sambar


Tips

1. Easy way of Fermentation

If it is winter or weather is very chill then Preheat the oven to 215F and switch off and place the dough and leave it over night for fermentation.

2. Dosa Tava got screwed up and dosa is not coming

a. Cut the onion into two halves and rub dosa tava with onion.Then dosa's will come perfect.

b. Use Grill non-stick sprays such as PAM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home