ENNA KATHRIKAI / WHOLE BRINJAL CURRY
Just to share with you....
Though there are some many variety of brinjals (japanese egg plant,chineese egg plant,italian egg plant etc are available in US) are available and with which we can many variaty of curries.My favourite curry is Enna Kathirikai Koulubu /Molusu Kathirikai /Whole bringal kolumbu. This is made with Indian egg palnt which we call as Brinjal in english and katharikai in Tamil. This is a kind of Puli kolumbu but with little masala.To make this recipe you need very tender small brinjals which will really make your mouth watering.
Enna Kathirikai kolumbu
1. Brinjal the small - 4
2. Small size onion - 1 (cutted)
3. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
4. Curry leaves - as needed
5. Oil,salt - as needed
6. chilli powder -1 tsp (optional)
7. Tamaraind thick watery paste -2 tsp
1. Small onion - 1
2. Channa dal /Kadala paruppu - 1 tsp
3. Urudal - 1 tsp
4. Corriander seeds - 1 tsp
5. Red chillies - 4
6. Coconut -3 tsp
7. little salt
8. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
1. Slit the brinjal into 4 with out separating the pieces and with the stalk on.
2. In kadai pour 1 tsp oil and fry the ingredients listed for paste for 3 mins and grind that in to fine paste adding water.
3. Pour 4 tsp of oil in kadai once itz hot flatter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
4. Fry onion for 2 mins.
5. Fill the grinded paste inside brinjal as much as you can and put in kadai
6. Fry the brinjals till the outlayer is done and it starts shrinking
7. Add the remaining paste into kadai .Add chilli powder if you want and add water .
8. When bringal is cooked add tamarind paste/tamarind water.
9. Cook until the raw smell goes away and gravy thickens and also the oil seperates on top.