In south India especialy TamilNadu Sambar is very famous and common one. This sambar is different from the one we make for ven pongal with Moong dal.Toor dal Sambar especially means drumstick sambar there.Nothing can beat that.Drumstick is not the only vegetable you can make sambar with it but you can make sambar with any vegetables like bringal/eggplant ,carrot ,small onions, bottle guard etc.Only Bitter guard is not used for making sambar since it is bitter in taste.Instead it is used for making puli kolumbu.In making Samar some may grind a spoon of dal,corriander seeds,redchilli etc and others make it as a simple one with out grinding anything. The Sambar which I used to make is very very simple if I say I won't sambar powder too it will be a great surprise for you.But that is the truth.
To cook dal first
1. Toor dal - 1 cup
2. Tomato small - 1
3. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
4. Garlic cloves - 1
5. Oil - 1/2 tsp (optional)
For making Sambar
1. Vegetable - 1 cup ( anything you have except bitter guard)
2. small size onion -1
3. Tamarind - very little (gooseberry /Nellikkai size )
4. chilli powder - 1 tsp
5. oil - 1 tsp
6. Mustard - 1/2 tsp
7. Curry leaves - as needed
8. A pinch of turmeric powder
9. salt as needed
1. Cook dal with all the ingredients in "To cook dal first".
2. Pour oil in kadai and saute mustard seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add cutted onions and fry.
4. Add cutted vegetables ,a pich of turmeric and fry for 2 mins
5. Add little water,chilli powder and fry
6. Add cooked (mashed) dal
7. Extract juice from tamaring by soaking it in water and add the juice.
8. cook until tamarind smell goes away and vegetables get cooked.