Just to Share with you......
I remember my first long trip was at the age of 10.Including my family members around sixty of us went on a 5 days tip to Ramaswaram,Kanyakumari etc.I heard that in olden days when people are travelling they will carry food (Katti soru) with them since they have to travel long distances by walking for days together and foods are not available on the way.We also made "Katti soru" in a different way.Guess what it is? Yes you got it .Itz nothing but Tamarind rice.The speacialty with tamarind rice is that we can keep it for minimum of two days.It won't get spoiled.Another speciality is when hours passes the taste will be too good.So from that Trip onwards till now whenever I am planning to go outside I will plan for Tamarind rice.
Little information about Tamarind
Tamarind is said to cool the system and cleanse the blood. The pulp, rich in vitamins and minerals, is used in Chinese medicine. The bark treats asthma, and a paste made from the leaves or the seeds is used to treat boils. The flowers are said to reduce blood pressure.They contain vitamin C and are very useful in preventing and curing scurvy. The pulp of the ripe fruit is used in acute constipation and liver disorders like jaundice. The powdered seeds are given in dysentery. They are also applied locally for contracting the vaginal passage.
For more information about Tamarind uses click here.
See recipe for Cumin and Tamarind Refresher.
1. Rice - 1 Cup
2. Water - 2 Cups
3. Tamarind Raw - 1 big Lemon size ball
4. Red chillies - 15 Nos
5. Raw Peanuts - 1/2 Cup
6. Salt - Acc to taste
7. Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Tsp.
8. Channa dal - 1 Tsp.
9. Urad dal - 1 Tsp.
10. Curry leaves - few
11. Turmeric - 1/2 tsp.
12. Oil - 3 Tbsp.
13. Onion - 1
1. Cook the rice with water and little salt and keep aside.
2. Soak Tamarind in water for sometime extract the juice .
3. Heat a pan and add oil.
4. Saute Mustard seeds,Channa dal,Urudal and curry leaves.
5. Add the Peanuts & fry for a minute.
6. Cutted Onions and Red chillies.
7. Pour in the tamarind extract and add turmeric powder.
8. Let it boil till it leaves the raw smell and oil seperates on top also the consistency of the gravy becomes semi solid.
9. Finaly add Cooked rice to gravy.